Background - Mr. Sealy's book Honeybee Democracy.

Dec 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Hi.
When I noticed this, I called it to the attention of the President of the EU Professional Beekeepers Association.
He liked it and said I should read Mr. Sealy's book Honeybee Democracy.

It's now on my list, and I plan to "study" the F# implementation of the alg.
I look forward to other Background recommendations, notes, links, etc.

Sweet, what might I learn from bees?

Thanks.

Art Scott

--- Some text from a review ---

Honeybees make decisions collectively--and democratically. Every year, faced with the life-or-death problem of choosing and traveling to a new home, honeybees stake everything on a process that includes collective fact-finding, vigorous debate, and consensus building. In fact, as world-renowned animal behaviorist Thomas Seeley reveals, these incredible insects have much to teach us when it comes to collective wisdom and effective decision making. A remarkable and richly illustrated account of scientific discovery, Honeybee Democracy brings together, for the first time, decades of Seeley's pioneering research to tell the amazing story of house hunting and democratic debate among the honeybees.

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Hi Art,

Thanks for the interesting reference, I will check it out. As an unexpected side-effect of this project (sometimes, side-effects are good), I learned that bees are much more interesting than what I thought. You may note in the algorithm a function called waggle, which is a reference to the waggle dance honey bees perform to convey information about the location of food sources to their "colleagues" in the hive. The function doesn't quite do justice to the real thing, which is pretty fascinating. There are quite a few videos on YouTube that explain the waggle dance, here is one I found interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ijI-g4jHg

Cheers,

Mathias